“In a recent announcement made by Samajwadi Party patriarch Mulayam Singh Yadav, the father confirmed that Akhilesh will be the next CM, should the party win in the upcoming 2016 Uttar Pradesh state assembly elections”…
The two-week long Samajwadi Party (SP) tussle ends with both the sides finally coming to a mutual compromise. While the elders (SP Patriarch Mulayam Singh Yadav and his brother Shivpal Yadav) were on one side, the younger generation (consisting of Akhilesh Yadav and Ram Gopal Yadav) were on the other. Both the sides were bickering over who gets to finalise the list of candidates for party tickets in the upcoming 2016 Uttar Pradesh state elections.
Last month, Mulayam approached the EC (election commission) to stake claim on the ‘bicycle’ that is the official party symbol for SP, should the party split in future. Hearing his plea, the EC agreed to hear his case today. Nevertheless, the SP chief dropped hints that the father-son duo will set out for election campaign soon and the party split is out of question.
But what was the reason behind this sudden change of mood? Political analysts believe that SP Patriarch gave in to the increasing popularity of his son Akhilesh Yadav. Here’s why Akhilesh is more popular than Mulayam.
Why People Favour Akhilesh Yadav over Mulayam Singh Yadav?
UP has seen reasonable development under Akhilesh’s reign in last 4 years. Being the 5th largest populated state of India, the total population of Uttar Pradesh is 22 crores and total budget allotted for its development is $51 billion. However, after the 14th Finance Commission reduced the budget by 9000 crores.
Despite this reduction, Akhilesh was able to create heterogeneous social setup of Uttar Pradesh. CM Akhilesh Yadav adopted the 2-pronged approach in both social and infrastructure sectors.
- He developed the Agra-Lucknow and Noida-Agra expressway to spur economic growth and employment opportunities. These expressways had warehouses, mandis and company store houses around them to bring in more cash for the state.
- Inter-city roads were in miserable condition earlier but the CM transformed the 2-lane highways into 4-lane roads to improve road connectivity between Lucknow, Ballia and Kanpur.
- The CM is currently working on international cricket likes MCG in Greater Noida and Lucknow that’ll boost the value of Uttar Pradesh in future.
- Being a civil engineer himself, CM Akhilesh hold a M.S. degree in Environmental Engineering. Therefore he struck a beautiful balance between environment and infrastructure.
- They’ve built Asia’s biggest park Janeshwar Mishra Park under Clean UP, Green UP Mission. He’s also planning to set up India’s biggest Solar power plant at Bundelkhand.
And there are plenty more things on his To-Do-List. Perhaps this why people prefer him over his father, which has led Mulayam into changing his political script.